Today's pic

Today's pic
My Grad.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Experiencing Windows Vista (RC1 test version)



After I installed Windows Vista RC1, there are a lot of new experience to share, I will keep update by time. The installation was done on Dell XPS, Pentium 4 3.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (40 GB partitioned for Vista)

Installation
1. Vista RC1 have to be installed in Primary Partition and can be separated from the earlier version
2. The Version I have installed is Vista RC1, it is equal to Vista-Ultimate version that will be out to the market next year.
3. This RC1 will be out of date June 2007 (or probably, July).
4. Vista RC1 itself consumed 10 - 11 GB of hard disk space (not yet include another program)
5. Installation is quite easy to do, less setting than XP
6. It takes 2-3 hours to install all the components
7. Multiple boot can be set from the control panel in Vista (The system will not use the boot setting from XP)

User Interface
1. The aero "transparent" interface look pretty good.
2. There is a 3D desktop button beside the earlier "Show Desktop" in the quick launch area. It will arranged all windows into 3D forms (include Desktop). It can be toggled using mouse scroll or up-down arrow. (Hope that there will be more button to access this screen)
3. At the right side of the screen, there is a clear panel for gadgets. You can choose calendar, weather forecast, I think there will be more funny gadgets coming out soon.
4. The one I personally like is the photo shuffler on the gadget panel, it will randomly show a picture from set directory.
5. I just found that you can download the multi language patch to transform all captions into the other language (Also French, Spanish ... etc), I have installed the Japanese one and it can be set from control panel, hopefully we can set it by accont, not all accounts

Personal Comment
1. New screen and tricks look great
2. Slow boot up and sometime come with blue screen!!
3. Annoying privilege confirmation with always come up with black "blink" screen

I will keep update what I found later

1 comment:

práçh said...

I just found that I can't boot into vista anymore. SUCKS!